Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Surprise Birthday Party

When I turned 14 my family gave me a surprise birthday party. They planned the entire affair right in front of me and I had no clue it was a party for me. I was actually surprised.

I should have known, because they invited everybody who was anybody. There were people at that party I did not know. My first clue should have been when my then boyfriend, Dexter Davis, asked for directions to my house. He asked me to write directions AND draw a map. Silly me did it and did not think twice about it.

It was on a Saturday. A regular Saturday, not any different from any other Saturdays in my life that year. My friends and I were hanging out at my house as usual. I remember exactly what I was wearing that day. I had on a pair of white polka dot shorts and a pink muscle shirt. Yes, a child of the 80’s. While hanging, Sharon was in the kitchen making some type of salad. A whole lot of salad. When I asked her what the salad was for, she ignored me.

After hanging at my house, someone decided to go to Margo’s house and hang. I did cartwheels in the middle of the street on the way. My white shorts were dingy and dirty by the time we got to Margo’s. While hanging at Margo’s everybody decided to change. I did not think it was strange that they all had a change of clothes and I did not. When I asked them why they were changing, they told me they were going to the movies. Well why would they all plan to go to the movies without me and NOT tell me? I did not find that strange either. It did not even phase me. I was so clueless.

After they all changed, Margo’s mom took me home and was going to take the rest of the girls to the movies. Little did I know they were dressed up for my surprise party. After dropping me off, they went down the street to throw me off. When I got out of the car, I could hear Cyndi LauperGirls Just Wanna Have Fun. I walked in the house singing that song as loud as I could. On the stairs I saw John sitting there in the dark. When I asked him why he was in my house, a bunch of people came out of the dark and shouted, “Surprise”. I was surprised!

Dad brought out a brand new 10 speed bike too. Dexter gave me a gold chain. It was one of my most memorable birthdays and I am thankful for it.

No comments:

Related Posts with 

Thumbnails